I divided the class into groups of 2 or 3 and then they got to work. I used all 5 different versions of the project so that everyone didn't have exactly the same parabolas. I liked that the different paths of the birds were described in different ways (graph, table of values, words, equation).
Next, my students put stickers of the birds that I printed out each path.
But, here is my favorite part. We learned about an app called koma koma at the beginning of the school year in our PD. This is an app that you can use to make a short stop motion video.
Each group chose one bird that would move in their "movie." We stuck this bird to a post it so they could move it easily.
Here is a group using the app to make their movie.
Here is my favorite movie that was turned in:
This project took about 3 class days to complete, but I introduced some new material at the beginning of class each day, so we still kept moving along. My juniors and seniors enjoyed this project, but I also think younger students could be successful with this project with some modifications.